Southern Para Pilots BY LAWS
- ARTICLE I: NAME AND PURPOSE
- Section 1. The name of the Club is SouthernParaPilots, hereafter referred to as the
- Section 2. The primary purpose of the Club is to promote the sport of paragliding, to encourage participation through proper training, to promote safety, the acquisition and
maintenance of flying sites, and to have fun.
- ARTICLE II: MEMBERSHIP
- Section 1. Classes of membership shall consist of Full Member, and Family Member.
Services, privileges and annual dues for each class of membership shall be provided in
these bylaws and as established by the Board of Directors.
- Section 2. Members will have use of all Club controlled mountain flying sites, and may
vote as provided for in these bylaws.
- Section 3. The annual dues will be $60. A member of the immediate family of a member
may become a Family Member upon payment of 50% of the full membership dues. A
Family Member receives the same benefits as a member.
- Section 4. Anyone under the age of 18 must have the written consent of his/her parents
or guardian before flying at any Club controlled site.
- ARTICLE III: MEETING OF MEMBERS
Because of the diversity in home addresses among Club members, meetings are not
expected to be attended by the majority needed to conduct business. Matters requiring
member input and/or approval will therefore be handled by e-mail whenever necessary.
A quorum for the conduct of business shall be 75%.
- ARTICLE IV: BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Section 1. The Board of Directors shall be composed of four members: The President,
Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Section 2. The duties and powers of the Board shall be to deal with all routine business
which comes before the Club, draft an annual budget, evaluate and present to members
all matters of special concern, and to report all actions of the Board to members.
- Section 3. A majority of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the conduct of business.
- Section 4. Any vacancy on the Board of Directors shall be filled by a special election by
- Section 5. Each member of the Board of Directors shall serve without compensation or
reward, except as otherwise provided by these bylaws.
- ARTICLE V: OFFICERS
- Section 1. The Officers shall be elected by the voting members at the first meeting to be
held each year, and shall hold office for 12 months or until their successors are elected.
If the necessary 2/3 members are not present for this meeting, the remaining members
may cast their votes by email or other means deemed acceptable by the board and
communicated to the members.
- Section 2. The President shall preside at all meetings, appoint all committee chairmen
with the approval of the Board of Directors, sign and execute all contracts in the name of
the Club when authorized to do so by the Board of Directors, and shall have general supervision over the management of all affairs of the Club.
- Section 3. The Vice President shall be vested with all the powers and shall perform the
duties of the President in the case or absence or disability of the President, and shall
perform such other duties as may be delegated to him by the Board of Directors.
- Section 4. The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings, be responsible for all
meeting notices and keeping of historical records for the club, and shall perform other
duties as may be incident to the office of Secretary.
- Section 5. The Treasurer shall keep the membership records, receive and deposit all
funds, execute all checks for expenditures authorized by the Board of Directors, account
for all receipts, disbursements and balance on hand each month, and perform other
such duties as may be incident to the office of Treasurer.
- ARTICLE VI: SUSPENSION, EXPULSION AND REMOVAL FROM OFFICE
A member may be removed from office, suspended for a period of time, or expelled for
cause, such as violation of any of these bylaws, or flight regulations, or other rules of the
Club or for conduct prejudicial to the best interests of the Club. Such action shall require
a two thirds (2/3) vote of all voting members, provided a statement of the charges has
been provided to all members, and that the member will have had an opportunity to present
- ARTICLE VII: FINANCES
The fiscal year shall be from January 1 to December 31. Dues will be paid not later than
April 30. The initial payment of dues on joining the Club will be pro-rated from the first
day of the following month.
- ARTICLE VIII: AMENDMENTS
Amendments to these bylaws may be made by two thirds (2/3) vote of the voting members.
Amendments to be considered may be presented by members at any time, and
will be duly considered by the Board.
- ARTICLE IX: SITE MANAGEMENT
- Section 1. Except as noted below, all paraglider pilots flying at Club controlled sites
must be a member of the Club, hold a USHPA Novice (P2) or higher rating, and fly in a
safe manner at all times.
- Section 2. Prior to being accepted for Club membership, pilots must demonstrate to a
Club Officer, or designee, that he/she is a safe pilot, with flying skills sufficient for flying
- Section 3. Student Pilots may fly at Club controlled sites only when under the direct supervision of a USHPA Certified Instructor.
- Section 4. Pilots must fly at all times with a reserve chute, helmet, adequate back protection,
radio and suitable foot wear.
- Section 5. Flying hours are from sunrise to sunset. Sunset set is defined as the time
when the sun sets behind the mountains.